Chartreuse Liqueur d´Elixir 1605 56° cl 70
One day in 1605, Duke François Hannibal d’Estrées delivered to the Chartreux Fathers of the Chartreuse de Vauvert in Paris a mysterious manuscript containing the formula for a long-lasting elixir.
The Carthusians appealed to all their knowledge to decipher the grimoire, and their patient work eventually ended when their brother Jerome Maubec, pharmacist of the Grande Chartreuse, developed this elixir with incomparable virtues.
It soon became apparent that this potent remedy for the exceptional bouquet was a particularly pleasant digestive drink to enjoy.
The first liqueur, the ancestor of Chartreuse Verte, had been born.
It is this very first liquor that the Carthusians revive , the “Liquor d’Elisir,” to commemorate the delivery of the manuscript to the Carthusians of Vauvert 400 years ago.
56° – 70cl