Sallier de la Tour La Monaca 2018 Monreale DOC Tasca d’Almerita
The La Monaca Vineyard, two hectares planted in 2011 at an elevation of 320 m above sea level, is characterized by soil with a sandier texture (37.4 percent sand and 12.5 percent clay), which is well aerated, very draining and therefore drier, making the vines less vigorous. The northeast exposure provides good light but less influence from hot summer temperatures; this means that in hotter and drier years the vines suffer less, keeping ripening constant. The presence of active limestone facilitates flavor development, and the richness of potassium promotes the accumulation of sugars, flavors and anthocyanins. The low vigor, low productivity and soil characteristics are conducive to a balanced and complete ripening of the grapes, which is more suitable for full-bodied and long aging red wines. The training system is espalier, with Guyot pruning and a density of 4600 vines per hectare.
- Grape varieties: Syrah
- Appellation: Rosso Monreale DOC
- Winegrowing Area: Sallier de La Tour Estate – Monreale (PA) – Sicily
- Vineyards: La Monaca
- Year of implantation: 2011
- Altitude: 320 m above sea level.
- Exposure: Northeast
- Training system: espalier
- Type of pruning: guyot
- Density of strains per ha: 4.600
- Grape yield per ha: 79 ql
- Harvest time: September 18, 2018
- Fermentation: traditional in red
- Fermentation temperature: 25-30°C
- Length of time in contact with skins: 15 days
- Malolactic fermentation: carried out totally
- Aging: in 350-liter French oak barrels for 14 months
- Alcohol content: 15% Vol.
- Wine analytical data: pH 3.56 – AT 6.9 g/l – ZR 4 g/l – ET 35 g/l